UHealth Reactivates Key Clinical Services
Ensuring that staff and patient safety remains a priority, the University of Miami Health System resumed ambulatory services—including elective clinic visits, imaging, and surgeries and procedures—in a phased approach, on Monday, May 4. Services are offered at UHealth Tower, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute (Miami-Dade and Palm Beach locations), UHealth Professional Arts Center, The Lennar Foundation Medical Center, and Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center.
“Every decision to move forward is led by the safety of our patients and staff,” said Julio Frenk, M.D., M.P.H., Ph.D., University of Miami president and interim CEO of UHealth. “Our health system has experienced many changes during this unprecedented time, but the dedication to our mission has never wavered. As we resume operations, we will continue to navigate these times together.”
As clinical operations increase on a limited basis, UHealth patients and staff will be required to follow additional safety measures and precautions.
“Following state and local guidelines, we are carefully increasing our clinical operations to serve our patients and the community,” said Dipen J. Parekh, M.D., chief clinical officer and interim chief operating officer for UHealth. “The phased approach will allow us to increase operations and capacity safely over time.”
Unless otherwise noted, the following clinical operations resumed on Monday, May 4.
- UHealth Tower is increasing surgical services.
- The Division of Gastroenterology at UHealth Tower is providing services Monday through Saturday.
- The Division of Gastroenterology at Lennar will begin seeing patients on Monday, May 11.
- The Lennar Foundation Medical Center will service outpatient visits and surgical procedures at 50 percent capacity.
- Bascom Palmer Eye Institute (Miami-Dade and Palm Beach locations) will service outpatient visits and surgical procedures at 50 percent capacity.
- All Sylvester locations will reactivate the following services: hematology oncology, medical oncology, radiation oncology, stem cell transplantation,and gynecology oncology.
- Services at the UHealth Professional Arts Center—including urology; neurology; obstetrics; and ear, nose, and throat in the Clinical Research Center—will see patients at 50 percent capacity.
- The Lynn Rehabilitation Hospital at Jackson is now open and accepting patients.
For all other clinics and services, virtual visits will continue at this time, and in-person visits will continue to ramp up as the health system moves through this phased recovery.
Additional safety precautions for patients and staff
Patients will be provided face coverings and appropriately screened with updated questions, per the CDC, as they enter all UHealth facilities. Each patient will be tested for the coronavirus upon admission and prior to having surgery or a procedure in any health system location.
Visitation policy and guest guidelines
Visitors are not permitted; pediatric patients may be accompanied by one adult. While it may be difficult for patients not to be accompanied to appointments, it is still the safest option at this time. Loved one(s) can participate virtually via smartphone or tablet, and the UHealth team can help make that connection. Staff members will greet all patients at the front entrance to take them to their appointment location. If a driver is transporting a patient, they will be provided a location to wait in their car.
Find additional information about scheduling or call 305-243-4000.
Patients can see their providers virtually, if they prefer. The UHealth team will work closely with all patients before any virtual visits to ensure they have everything they need for an easy, convenient experience. Depending on the type of visit, patients may need to go in person or via a combination of in-person and virtual visits. Schedule your virtual visit here.
MyCareConnection, part of UHealth’s virtual care platform, is available for University of Miami employees and their family members at no charge. Use your Miami.edu email address, enter the code Cane2020, and hit “Apply” on the checkout screen. Click here for more information.